Cutting across the Sultanate of Oman, from one end to the other, this trip takes you to the kingdom of dunes! If you have been longing to leave your daily toil and trouble behind and to set out to discover long forgotten lands, this is the trip for you! Let yourself fall under the spell of the sand dunes and change your vantage point on life!
The itinerary we have chosen for you starts by heading down the Jebal Akhdar Mountain from a height of 3 019 m. After brushing past the Masirah Bay, the journey continues towards the west to Erg du Rub-al-Khali without ever coming across a town or even a hamlet. The easy-going tracks are followed by magical stunning dunes that extend all the way to the horizon. This is where the true desert crossing begins. Cutting across these unspoiled silent lands gives the traveler immense pleasure! And there, in the heart of such arid seemingly sterile lands, a green oasis welcomes the traveler offering freshness and simple delight.
Make your dreams come true and plunge into this epic journey, to be enjoyed without moderation!
Your day by day program
Arrival in Muscat.
Overnight stay in a hotel.
Once we arrive in Al-Mintrib, a picnic lunch will be waiting for us in a small inn. A fleet of glimmering blue motorcycles await their eager pilots! The GPS devices are rapidly distributed.
On your marks, get set, go! A straight sandy track is the perfect way to start this trip and get a hold on the bikes! Right from the start, the drive is fabulous!
Bivouac in the Wahibah sands.
The day begins with two hours of sheer pleasure, driving through the Wahiba sands. The round dunes spread out to the horizon and sooth the traveler with their quiet harmony. Our bike wheels seem to caress each dune in a gentle manner as if to avoid disrupting the flow. What a delight!
Soon we reach Hiji and its petrol station; then, Filim. A series of flat hills with rocky tracks emerges ahead of us before reaching a spectacular chott! Interspersed here and there, salty marshes lend more interest to the surrounding landscape. Today’s stage ends nearby Al-Khaluf, an authentic fishing village nestled between the sea and the sand dunes. Old fishing nets, rusty pick-up trucks and other objects are part of the picturesque décor!
Today, we will take a wonderful track on the white sands of one of Oman’s most beautiful beaches. There is no one around, the space is empty and the ride is simply fantastic! In Shital, the itinerary takes you onto a white surfaced plateau. Owning a good pair of goggles or dark sun glasses is essential in order to enjoy the views. Our itinerary crisscrosses the breath-taking Al-Wusta desert. Once again we are overwhelmed by this expanse of land that stretches to infinity and beyond. After riding down a sandy river bed, we start our climb onto a lunar plateau. We will drive along a gazelle park and then take an unavoidable stretch of paved road up to Al-Musqshin from where we can start to see the majestic Rub-Al-Khali mountain range. The border with Saudi Arabia is just a stone's throw away…
We have reached the high point of this journey: the Rub-Al-Khali dunes! After driving along tracks used by the petrol industry, we will enter the very heart of the Rub-Al-Khali desert which encompasses most of the southern third of the Arabian Peninsula. It covers an expanse of approximately 650 000 km2. We will travel through this amazing labyrinth of reddish-orange sand, as the dunes seem to grow in size. These silica mountains are a delight to tackle for any seasoned pilot! It’s beautiful, it’s spectacular, it’s fun!
This will sound familiar to those of you who have already been to the Murzuk Erg in Lybia with us!
The day’s journey ends with a ride along a series of easy-going biker-friendly tracks all the way to Fasad.
The day begins with a trip across an oasis before tackling some smooth mountain tracks which slowly take the traveler down to sea level. The last stretch of paved road goes all the way to Salalah, some 50 km away.
Overnight stay in a hotel.
Trip back to your home country.
- You will be lodged in hotels for the first and last nights spent in the Sultante of Oman. The rest of the nights are to be spent in authentic bivouacs in the desert allowing the traveler to be as one with the surrounding stars. The atmosphere shared around the camp fire is unique and as sleep creeps up upon the weary travelers, it is time to slide into the warm and comfortable duvets and relax on the more than decent mattresses! Nothing can describe the feeling of pure awe as one becomes the witness of the slow awakening of the desert!
- You do not have to be an off-road champion in order to embark upon this trip. Having said this, although you should have no trouble whatsoever tackling the waves of sand that fling themselves under your wheels, the occasional mightier dunes will require some technical off-road skills, stamina and determination. Therefore, solid off-road motorcycle experience is necessary to undertake this trip.
- You will be accompanied by a Trail Rando staff member, driving his own bike. A chase vehicle will also follow the group with the luggage, a basic first aid kit, tools, some spare parts and is always able to lend a hand if required. In case of motorbike breakdown or pilot fatigue, the bike or driver can be picked up by the chase vehicle, too.
- There's a definite feeling of freedom about this journey. To preserve the spirit of exploration and discovery that we wanted to create, we've put you in control.
For this reason, and so that everyone truly plays a part in their own journey, we provide an uploadable GPS itinerary for the entire trip. This technology allows you to be totally independent in terms of navigation.
Thanks to this wonderful tool, everyone has the freedom to go on ahead, to be carried along by their artistic inspirations, or to stay with their friends, knowing that as a general rule the Trail Rando motorcycle guide will be looking out for the team at the rear.
“Free people in a structured group” is the motto that accurately reflects the reality of a Trail Rando trip.
A GPS IS MANDATORY
The itinerary is safely up loaded and stored stage by stage on the GPS...
Before you start your trip, Trail Rando will provide you with the total up loadable itinerary. The entire route and its main points such as sites of interest, petrol stations, lunch meeting points and accommodation are programmed into the GPS.
If you do not own a GPS, Trail Rando can rent you one.
- GPS rental (including handlebar support and uploaded itinerary) : 60€
- • Lodging
o hotels, in twin rooms, or bivouaco from the evening of day 1 to the morning of the last day,
• Food :o Breakfast, lunch and dinnero from the evening of day 1 to the morning of the last day,
• Shuttle bus between Muscat and Al-Minitrib,• A complete uploadable version of the GPS track,• Tour leaders :o Tour leader on his motorcycle,o Support vehicle for luggage transport• A rented motorcycle,• The fuel for the motorcycle.
- • Transportation :o To and from tour start,o Vehicle transportation to and from tour start,• Beverages,
o Transfers from airports to hotels and back• Traveling visa.
- Motorcycles provided
Yamaha WR450F: these bikes are powerful enough to tacke even the highest dunes but light enough to remain manageable.